- Group Accommodation
September 23, 2018
October is a wonderful month for a short break in the Ross of Mull and a stay at Achaban House. Here are 10 good reasons why!
1. October brings big, dramatic skies and stunning autumn scenery. Sunrises and sunsets are amazing and the darker nights provide a sky full of stars. You might even get a glimpse of the Northern Lights.
2. Wildlife is prolific in the Ross of Mull and is more easily seen in the autumn. Hen harriers, eagles and many other raptors and birdlife can be seen in the surrounding area and frequently from Achaban House. The red deer stags are in rutting season in the woods nearby and seals are commonly seen hauled out at Fidden Beach. If you are lucky, you might spot an otter amongst the seaweed on the coastline or further out to sea, dolphins or porpoise.
3. Take advantage of quiet roads to have a road trip – the north west route to Burg and Loch na Keal is outstanding, and a real hot spot for otters, deer and eagles.
4. Achaban House is surrounded by wonderful silver-sand beaches and spectacular pink granite outcrops along the coastlines, offering many walking options, from gentle coastal strolls to challenging hikes.
5. October is an ideal month to visit the Isle of Iona and soak in the peace and tranquillity. With few visitors around, enjoy a day out visiting Iona Abbey and walking or cycling around the island. Achaban House is a 10-minute walk or 2-minute car journey to the ferry to Iona from Fionnphort Pier.
6. After a day exploring, return to cosy Achaban House and perhaps enjoy some mulled wine or a dram in front of our wood burning stoves. The self-catering kitchen is always available for preparing your own snacks and drinks, or a meal of locally-sourced lamb, venison, seafood or vegetarian ingredients from the nearby organic "Crofters Kitchen" at Kintra.
7. If you prefer to eat out, the highly recommended local eateries on Iona and the Ross of Mull are still fully available in October with a more relaxed pace of life than the busy high season.
8. We don’t get many midgies here, and by October there is no sign of them at all!
9 We are very happy to provide all the local information you need to get the best out of a short break to the Ross of Mull and Iona in autumn; from directions for walks, suggestions for wildlife spotting and eating out, to exploring the rest of Mull.
10. Achaban House suits all travellers – there is a single room, twin and double rooms and a family room which sleeps 5 guests. It is also ideal for whole house bookings for up to 14 guests.